IONIA — An Ionia County man who invaded a Hubbardston residence and stabbed two people has been sentenced to the Michigan Department of Corrections.


Carl L. Harbenski, 28, of Pewamo, was sentenced to 20-40 years in prison for first degree home invasion and 13-20 years for assault with intent to commit great bodily harm. The sentences will be served concurrently and he receives 82 days of jail credit.


Harbenski was sentenced on Wednesday, April 29, in Ionia County Eighth Circuit Court by Judge Suzanne Kreeger.


In March, Harbenski pleaded no contest to the two charges. In exchange for the plea, charges of attempted first degree home invasion and felonious assault were dismissed. Harbenski was convicted as a third offense habitual offender, which was reduced from a fourth offense.


Harbenski must also pay $27,808, including $26,692 in restitution. Harbenski had to pay all fines, costs and restitution for all charges — regardless of whether or not they were dismissed. He was ordered to have no contact with the victims.


Around 3:40 a.m. Feb. 2, Ionia County Sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to a residence in the 200 block of Pearl Street in Hubbardston on a report of a home invasion resulting in two people being stabbed inside the home, police said.


Harbenski entered the home and was confronted by two people staying in the home, police said. Harbenski used a knife to attack the two people — causing serious injuries to one victim and minor injuries to the other, police said. Harbenski then fled in an unknown direction.


After tips from the public, police arrested Harbenski on Feb. 7.


Ionia County Chief Public Defender Walter Downes served as Harbenski’s defense attorney.


Harbenski was previously sentenced for first degree home invasion in March 2013 out of Clinton County, third degree home invasion out of Ionia County in April 2013 and attempted possession of a weapon in prison out of Grand Traverse County in July 2014, according to the MDOC Offender Tracking Information System. Harbenski was discharged from prison in March 2019, per OTIS.


— Contact reporter Evan Sasiela at esasiela@sentinel-standard.com. Follow him on Twitter @SalsaEvan.